Finally today my mum showed me how she make the 'wu tao gou' a.k.a. '芋头糕' in Chinese. She said the last time she made it, it was long long time ago. Never mind, this will always be the best "wu tao gou" in my heart!
so here comes the recipe.
1. Yam 1 piece, the size of small sized mineral water bottle
2. Dried shrimps
3. Fish paste
4. Rice flour
6. Green scallion
7. Red Chili
8. Pork Oil (Saturated fat)
9. Grated garlic and onion
1. Take a yam and peel off the skin.
2. Cube it into 1/2 inch cubes and put aside.
3. Pork oil solids to be chopped finely.
4. Red chili to be sliced thinly
5. Put inside the chopped pork oil solids (1/2 portion) and stir fry until fragrant.
6. Then put in the cubed yam and continue to stir fry.
7. Add some seasonings i.e. salt, five spice powders, and ajinomoto if you are ok with it. Continue to stir fry.
8. Add water until the yam cubes are half submerged inside the water. Close the lid and wait for it to boil. The purpose is to soften the yam cubes.
9. Then, dish out and put inside a flat pan. By now, there should not be much water left.
10. Pour 1/2 soup spoonful of fish sauce into the pan and mix.
11. Scoop around 6 to 8 soup spoonful of rice flour into the pan and mix. (rice flour quantity depends really on how sticky you want it to be)
12. Add water to the mixture until the mixture is not sticky. Add some pork oil and and continue to stir and mix.
13. Get a steamer ready. Make sure the water is boiling inside before the pan is put inside.
14. Put the pan inside. Close the lid, and steam for around 20 minutes.
15. While waiting for the yam cake to cook, now you can start to prepare the toppings on the yam cake.
16. Heat the wok again with oil.
17. Stir fry the garlic and onion.
18. Put in the remaining chopped pork solids and stir fry. Then put in chopped
19. Put in the chopped dried shrimps.
20. Stir fry until it turns golden colour.
21. Dish out the toppings and put aside.
22. Check the yam cake whether is cooked or not by poking using chopsticks. The poked hole should be clear of water, indicating that it is cooked.
23. Then, sprinkle the toppings evenly on top of the yam cake, also sprinkle the red chili and green garnishes like scallion. Serve!